ACM Multimedia Asia is calling for proposals for Grand Challenges in 2023. Proposers with an innovative idea of a Multimedia Grand Challenge, should gather an organizational team with the capacity to carry out the organization of a challenge, and submit a proposal according to the instructions below. The purpose of the Multimedia Grand Challenge is to engage the multimedia research community by establishing well-defined and objectively judged challenge problems intended to exercise the state-of-the-art methods and inspire future research directions. The key criteria for Grand Challenges are that they should be useful, interesting, and their solution should involve a series of research tasks over a long period of time, with pointers towards longer-term research.
1.   Motivation: A brief description to explain why the challenge problem is important and relevant to the multimedia research community, industry, and society over the next 3-5 years or a longer horizon.
2.   Task: A description of a specific set of research tasks or sub-tasks to be carried out towards tackling the challenge problem in the long run.
3.   Area review: An outline of current state-of-the-art techniques and why this Grand Challenge would help accelerate research in this important area.
4.   Evaluation metric: A description of rigorously defined objective criteria and/or procedures on how the submissions will be evaluated or judged.
5.   Commitment: A commitment to publish and maintain a website related to their specific Grand Challenge containing the information, datasets, tasks for the Grand Challenge. Work with ACM Multimedia Asia Conference organizers to publicize the Grand Challenge tasks to researchers for participation.
6.   Organizers: Contact information of at least two organizers who will be responsible for organizing, publicizing, reviewing and judging the Grand Challenge submissions as described in the proposal.
7.   Submission: The grand challenge proposals should be emailed to the Grand Challenge Chairs for review.
Submission deadline: 1 June, 2023.
Notification of acceptance: 10 June, 2023.